Pages

Tuesday, March 22, 2016

I feel so Missoni

I love the Missoni chevron print so when I saw this knock off knit at Fabricland I needed it! And Vogue 1314 was the perfect fit.


I can see why so many people have made and loved this sewing pattern. It was so easy to sew up and looks really good too. The shell of the pattern was only 3 pieces and the lining 2 so it was quick to cut out. I tried to match the chevrons but they were pretty skewed which made it difficult.


I graded the pattern from a 12 on top to a 14 at the hip like I usually do but I think if I were to make it again I would just make the whole thing in a size 12. I don't know if it was the fabric or what but it was a bit loose at the waist and hip. So the gathers kind of sag instead of being stretched across like I would have liked. My fabric was a bit spongy and soft so that might be the reason, I'll have to see next time.


I didn't alter anything on this pattern. I saw so many reviews of this pattern and everyones versions looked so beautiful. I had never even really noticed this pattern before joining pattern review and seeing all the lovely creations.


This was such a quick project, I whipped it up in almost just one evening of sewing. The next time I sew this I will make sure to stay the neck better. I really stretched it out on this one, I guess I was thinking it was more like stretching the ribbed neck band on a t-shirt but really its just finishing the neck edge with self made bias. Maybe I will try fusing the neck band. I will definitely be making this pattern again, maybe in a slinkier knit and in a smaller size.


.  .  .

I've been working away at my Alabama Chanin project! I tried out my airbrush and it worked wonderfully! So I painted my thrift store t-shirt and started my corset! I was really lucky when I found this t-shirt, its the perfect weight and a really nice denim blue colour. I found it in the men's golf T section, I think that's why it was the nice, heavier weight. And a plus, it has never actually been worn, tags and all still attached! I used a pearlized white paint mixed with a bit of navy. I was shocked at how much paint it took. I have no experience with spray painting and I mixed one mini vile (like probably 1/8 cup) thinking that would be plenty. Nope! It took the whole original jar of pearl paint, most of the navy and part of a jar of white paint because I was desperate! So the whole pattern is a bunch of different paint mixes because I just kept mixing and guessing and thinking how could this be taking this much paint?!?! But it all worked out in the end so I'm happy! 


The pearlized paint worked out really well, I love the bit of shine it gives it. I used Anna's Garden stencil for this that I cut out myself out of felt. I started couching the first corset piece and I am really pleased with it so far! I can't wait to get it done and sew it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment